POSTENSIONING OF BRIDGES
Post-tensioning is a method of reinforcing concrete, used extensively in the construction and refurbishment of bridges.
High-strength steel tendons are positioned in ducts or sleeves before the concrete is placed. Once the concrete has gained strength, tension is then applied, pulling the tendons and anchoring them against the outer edges of the concrete, before service loads are applied.
The MK4 postensioning system proposed, includes a gear range of anchorages, accessories and the necessary equipment to respond to the technical requirements for the construction of bridges and other structures.
As application, we are providing postensioning for any structure as bridges, buildings, tanks of liquefied gas LNG, silos, covertures, communication towers, nuclear power stations, suspended structures, etc. in either internal or external post-tensioning.
The services provided by MK4 include the following aspects:
- Technical assistance in all the phases of the project from the design to the final execution.
- A large range of live end and dead end anchorages and couplers, being always ready for any development or change according to the specifics needs of the project.
- The designed system was successfully tested according to the new European standard ETAG-013 for postensioning systems.
- The possibility to use metallic and PE/PP ducts depending on the project specifications Automatic and lightweight stressing equipment.
- Study of alternative design or construction method as an improvement for the optimum solution for every project.
- LN6 tanks
- Wind mills
POSTENSIONING IN BUILDINGS
The use of post tensioning systems in buildings offers numerous advantages and is increasingly being used in this industry.
Putting a concrete slab into compression and the steel into tension before any substantial service loads are applied puts both building materials into their strongest states. The result is a stiffer concrete slab that actively is compressed and has more capacity to resist tensile forces.
UNBONDED MONOSTRAND SYSTEMS
MK4 can offer unbonded monostrand systems (greased and PE-coated stand). The MK4 unbonded mono-strand system uses 0,6” and 0,62” diameter strand of 1860 MPa capacity.
MULTI-STRAND BONDED SYSTEMS
Multi-strand bonded systems with either round or flat corrugated duct is also provided as an alternative for the construction of slabs in buildings when this type of system is required.
The advantages of PT in buildings can be summarized as follows:
- Reduced quantity of reinforcement for passive bending and shear.
- Larger column free space.
- Thinner slabs and reduced volume of concrete.
- Speeding up the construction cycle.
- Reduced construction joints.
- Crack-free slabs.
- Minimised foundations.
- Reduced maintenance costs.
MK4 Canada also offers complete packages including alternative design of the slabs in addition to the conventional incorporation of our MK4 tendons (supply, installation and stressing).
Repair, maintenance and surveillance of structures, especially old building and monuments are additional activities in which we are presently becoming very active.